Believe It or No: A Recap of This Week’s Fun Facts (July 24)
Every weekday about 3:25pm, Adam shares some facts and trivia in a fun little segment called Believe it or No (the Minnesotan version, you could say, of Ripley's Believe it or Not!).
Here are this past week's fun facts and trivia from Believe it or No:
- The first fast food burger chain in the United States was . . . White Castle. It was established in 1921 – over 30 years before Mcdonalds -- and was the first chain to have every store make its food in one standard way so it would look and taste the same everywhere. (Source: Consumerist.com)
- The official bird of the city of Redondo Beach, California is the Goodyear Blimp. (Source: Blogs.Dailybreeze.com)
- The island of Puerto Rico was originally called San Juan Bautista, and the main city was called Puerto Rico. But eventually, those switched . . . the island became Puerto Rico and the main city became San Juan. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Bananas contain about 450 milligrams of potassium . . . and about .01% of it is RADIOACTIVE. So if you managed to eat 150 trillion bananas in one sitting, you'd die from radiation poisoning. (Source: LoganPhysicsisp.blogspot.com)
- NASA used to hold beauty pageants in the '50s and '60s. The title changed names from "Miss Guided Missile" to "Queen of Outer Space" to "Miss NASA." (Source: Pillownaut.com)
- Tea bags were invented by accident in 1908. A salesman in New York sent samples of tea to people in silk bags, and they assumed they were supposed to put the entire bag into the pot. And the trend caught on. (Source: Tea.co.uk)
- One Direction has never had a number one hit. Neither has Bruce Springsteen, Imagine Dragons, Backstreet boys, Missy Elliot, David Guetta, Sheryl Crow. And Bob Dylan only got his first number one hit in April of this year, with "Murder Most Foul". (Source: Billboard.com)
- Jam is made from fruit . . . jelly is made from juice . . . preserves have chunks of fruit . . . and marmalades have peel and pulp. (Source: TheKitchn.com)
- The scrolling text at the beginning of the early "Star Wars" movies was done by printing out the entire thing and having a camera slowly roll over it. (Source: Gizmodo)
- Philadelphia cream cheese is named after the town of Philadelphia in New York, where cream cheese was originally produced. (Source: Wikipedia)
Join Adam weekdays around 3:25pm for Believe it or No!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app