Believe It or No: A Recap of This Week’s Fun Facts (August 21)
Every weekday about 3:25pm, Adam shares some facts and trivia in a fun little segment called Believe it or No (the Minnesotan version, you could say, of Ripley's Believe it or Not!).
Here are this past week's fun facts and trivia from Believe it or No:
- During the filming of "Rocky", Sylvester Stallone broke his ribs and Carl Weathers got a broken nose . . . which is the opposite of the movie, where Rocky has a broken nose and Apollo Creed has broken ribs. (Source: Wikipedia)
- The time machine in "Back to the Future" was NOT originally a DeLorean . . . it was a refrigerator. But Robert Zemeckis was worried it would lead to kids locking themselves in refrigerators, so they changed it. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Trampoline was originally a trademarked brand name, and the generic term was "rebound tumbler." But trampoline eventually became genericized, like Aspirin, Kleenex, and Thermos. (Source: Wikipedia)
- The term "soap opera" comes from old dramatic radio shows from the 1920s and '30s that were sponsored by Procter and Gamble. They would use the shows to plug their soap products. (Source: Wikipedia)
- The first United States president to visit a foreign country while in office was Teddy Roosevelt in 1906. He went to Panama. (Source: Wikipedia)
- There's a five-star hotel in the Ukraine that used to be a Nazi concentration camp. (Source: Atlas Obscura)
- St. Louis has had the biggest drop in population of any American city. It peaked at 857,000 people in 1950 and is now around 300,000 . . . which is a 65% drop. (Source: USA Today)
- There are 292 ways to make change for a $1 bill . . . and 9.8 trillion ways to make change for a $100 bill. (Source: MAA)
- Antifreeze manufacturers use artificial flavoring to make antifreeze taste BITTER. It used to be sweet, which made it appealing to pets, children, and people trying to POISON other people. (Source: Healthy Pets)
- There's only ONE PIG in the entire country of Afghanistan. His name is Khanzir and he's in the Kabul Zoo. Since it's an Islamic country where they don't eat pork and aren't even allowed to TOUCH pigs, there's no need for any other pigs. (Source: Wikipedia)
Join Adam weekdays around 3:25pm for Believe it or No!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app