Believe It or No: A Recap of This Week’s Fun Facts (1.29.21)
Every weekday during Middays with Adam (10am-3pm), Adam shares some facts and trivia in a fun segment called Believe it or No (the Minnesotan version, you could say, of Ripley's Believe it or Not!).
Here are this past week's fun facts and trivia from Believe it or No:
- Roller skates were invented in Belgium and patented in 1760. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Most of Steve Jobs' wealth came from Disney, not Apple. When Disney acquired Pixar from him in 2006, he got 7.4% of Disney . . . worth about $4.4 billion. He "only" had about $2.1 billion from Apple. (Source: ABC News)
- The Tour de France started as a publicity stunt in 1903 to promote a daily sports newspaper called "L'Auto". (Source: History.com)
- Mount Everest has gotten taller . . . it's up to 29,031.7 feet, two feet higher than 16 years ago. It could be because a major earthquake in 2015 shifted things. (Source: National Geographic)
- The most common answer . . . or, technically, "question" . . . on "Jeopardy" is "What is China?" (Source: Public.Tableau.com)
- FedEx almost went under back in the '70s in their early years . . . they only had $5,000 in the bank and needed to pay off $24,000. They're still around because the founder took the last $5,000 to Vegas, gambled it on blackjack, and won $27,000. (Source: Huffpost)
- Sneezes can leave your mouth at more than 200 miles per hour. (Source: Live Science)
- The longest winning streak in any professional sport in history is held by a squash player from Pakistan named Jahangir Khan. He won 555 consecutive matches from 1981 to 1986. (Source: BBC)
- The day that Michael Jackson caught on fire while he was filming a Pepsi commercial was literally the halfway point of his life. It happened 9,282 days after he was born . . . and he died 9,281 days after it happened. (Source: Reddit)
- An old wives' tale says a pregnant woman with heartburn is more likely to have a hairy baby. A study in 2006 tried to disprove it . . . but actually proved it TRUE. Heartburn and hairy babies are both linked to a woman's estrogen levels. (Source: NY Times)
For more fun facts to get you through your workday, tune in to Middays with Adam weekdays from 10am-3pm on Mix 94.9!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app
10 Odd Guinness World Records Set in MN or By Minnesotans