Believe It or No: A Recap of This Week’s Fun Facts (1.22.21)
Every weekday during Middays with Adam (10am-3pm), Adam shares some facts and trivia in a fun segment called Believe it or No (the Minnesotan version, you could say, of Ripley's Believe it or Not!).
Here are this past week's fun facts and trivia from Believe it or No:
- The first speeding ticket was given out in 1899 in Manhattan . . . to a cab driver who was going a blazing 12 miles-per-hour in an eight-mile-an-hour zone. (Source: Gizmodo)
- Mattel released a pregnant version of the Barbie doll. Her name was Midge and she had a detachable baby bump with a baby inside. But she was quickly discontinued because people thought she promoted teen pregnancy. (Source: Boing Boing)
- Ronald McDonald is called Donald McDonald in Japan. It's because there's no clear "r" sound in Japanese. (Source: Kotaku)
- The first artist to be stripped of a Grammy was . . . Milli Vanilli. Once the news came out that they lip synced their songs, they were stripped of their Best New Artist Grammy in 1990. (Source: Guinness World Records)
- Ronald Reagan was going to pick Gerald Ford as his running mate in 1980, but Ford refused to just be vice president . . . he wanted him and Reagan to be CO-PRESIDENTS. Reagan considered it, but he went with George H.W. Bush instead. (Source: Mental Floss)
- Saddam Hussein used Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" as his campaign re-election song in 2002. And I guess it was REALLY effective, because he won with 100% of the vote. (Source: Global News)
- The most watched episode of a TV series in the 2010s was . . . the premiere episode of "Undercover Boss" on CBS in February of 2010. It had 42.3 million viewers. Super Bowls don't count, because they aren't a TV series. But the reason this episode got so many viewers is because it aired right after Super Bowl 44. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Every character on "The Simpsons" only has four fingers on their hand . . . except for God, who has five when he's appeared in Homer's various visions and dreams. (Source: Fandom)
For more fun facts to get you through your workday, tune in to Middays with Adam weekdays from 10am-3pm on Mix 94.9!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app
The 10 Coolest Street Names in St. Cloud