Believe It or No: A Recap of This Week’s Fun Facts (1.08.21)
Every weekday during Middays with Adam (10am-3pm), Adam shares some facts and trivia in a fun segment called Believe it or No (the Minnesotan version, you could say, of Ripley's Believe it or Not!).
Here are this past week's fun facts and trivia from Believe it or No:
- Ventriloquism started as a religious practice. The ancient Greeks called it gastromancy, and they believed the ventriloquist was getting messages from spirits in their stomach and revealing them through a dummy. (Source: Wikipedia)
- The Stanley Cup can hold 23 beers. (That's 23 12-ounce bottles . . . or just over two gallons.) (Source: Sporting News)
- Americans always picture Godzilla being GREEN . . . but in the Japanese movies, he was NEVER green. He was always charcoal gray. (Source: Topless Robot)
- If all of the gold in the world was melted down, it would fit into less than three-and-a-half Olympic swimming pools. (Source: Forbes)
- Congress passed a law in 1866 that no living person could appear on currency . . . after an official at the U.S. Treasury snuck himself onto a five-cent bill. (Source: Atlas Obscura)
- Cats sleep so much that by the time they turn nine years old, they've only been awake about three years. (Source: Pet MD)
- The Bugatti Veyron sports car had a top speed of 254 miles-per-hour . . . and at that speed, it got three miles-per-gallon. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Actress Jodie Foster speaks such perfect French that she does her own dubbing for the French versions of her movies. (Source: Wikipedia)
- The first live sporting event broadcast on ESPN was a professional softball game in 1979 between the Kentucky Bourbons and Milwaukee Schlitz. (Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Despite their massive success, ABBA, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, Diana Ross, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Notorious B.I.G., Oasis, Queen, Snoop Dogg, and The Who have all never won a single Grammy. (Source: Paste Magazine)
For more fun facts to get you through your workday, tune in to Middays with Adam weekdays from 10am-3pm on Mix 94.9!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app
8 Strange or Unique Minnesota City Nicknames