Healthy Cheese Curds You Can Make At Home! [Recipe and Video]
It is fair season and I ~*love*~ cheese curds, but lets be real, they are not good for you. I decided to try my hand at making a "healthier" version of them. Healthier meaning they weren't made in a deep firer, and I used low fat string cheese. It counts for something right? Check out the video above and I have my recipe below!
"Healthy" Cheese Curds
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet or cake pan with non-stick spray
- Crack two eggs into a bowl, add in any seasoning to taste (ex. garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- In a separate bowl add about a cup and a half of Panko whole wheat bread crumbs. This will give the cheese curd a crispy texture
- Take string cheese (I use the low fat kind) and cut it into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
- Coat cheese pieces in egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Repeat twice for a thicker coating.
- Take excess bread crumbs and lightly pack it onto the top of the cheese pieces in the pan just so they are coated and will be crispy
- Bake in the over for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and melty
- Enjoy with marinara sauce!