Good News — No Central MN Cities Made Top 10 List of Holiday DWI’s!
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety released the results of a DWI crackdown campaign that ran November 21 through December 31, and no Central Minnesota cities were on the list!
Bring Me the News reports that during the campaign period, some 2,757 arrests were made of suspicion of DWI, up 101 from the same time frame as 2017. Figures were reported by more than 300 law agencies involved.
According to BMTN, the top 10 cities that saw DWI arrests were:
1. Minnesota State Patrol, Golden Valley district – 199 arrests.
2. Minnesota State Patrol, Oakdale district – 177 arrests.
3. St. Paul Police Department – 121 arrests.
4. Minnesota State Patrol, Rochester district – 72 arrests.
5. Minnesota State Patrol, Duluth district – 59 arrests.
6. Minneapolis Police Department – 54 arrests.
7. Edina Police Department – 48 arrests.
8. Olmsted County Sheriff's Office – 43 arrests.
9. Blaine PD, Bloomington PD, Wright County Sheriff's office – 42 arrests each.
As you'll see, Wright County -- which includes cities in the listening area like Monticello, Clear Water and Annandale -- did make the list, though none of those cities are specifically mentioned by name in BMTN's report.
Bring Me the News does recount some of the worst DWI offenders, including a Blue Earth woman arrested for hitting multiple guardrails before ending up in a ditch; four days later, on Christmas, she was arrested again .
A Minneapolis man and woman were separately arrested for their 11th and 12th DWI's respectively; and a Minntonka drunk driver crashed into a squad car.