The snow is melting and in their place are giant potholes all over town. These aren't regular little cracks in the road either...some are giant, deep holes that might do some damage to your vehicle if you hit them just right.

So, what can you do other than stay off the roads until things are patched? You can report potholes in your area. However, things have been really busy for the city as we had more snow and ice than we've had in a long time. It's caused more damage to the roadways.


But, if you do get damage from a pothole, you might not be on the hook to pay for the repairs. You heard that right! According to the Minnesota Department of Transportation, there are some circumstances where the city or state might have to pay for the damage.

  • The damage must have happened on a city road or state highway
  • This includes trunk highways and the interstate system
  • Damage must have happened due to negligence on the city or MnDot's behalf
  • They have had a reasonable amount of time to repair the issue and failed to fix it or warn people of it
  • You must file your claim in 180 days from the incident

For St. Cloud, you can report potholes to 650-2949. You can also report potholes through the city's website.

Where to report potholes in your local cities & towns

Benton County
Benton County Engineer
P.O. Box 247
321 6th Avenue
Foley, MN 56329
Phone: 320.968.5051
Fax: 320.968.5333

Kandiyohi County
Kandiyohi County Engineer
P.O. Box 976
1801 East Highway 12
Willmar, MN 56201
Phone: 320.235.3266
Fax: 320.235.0055

Morrison County
Morrison County Engineer
213 First Avenue SE
Little Falls, MN 56345-0121
Phone: 320.632.0121
Fax: 320.632.9510

Sherburne County
Sherburne County Engineer
Sherburne County Government Center
13880 Business Center Drive
Elk River, MN 55330
Phone: 763.765.3300
Fax: 763.765.3366

Todd County
Todd County Engineer
County Department of Highways
Route 4, Box 5
Long Prairie, MN 56347
Phone: 320.732.2722
Fax: 320.732.4525

Douglas County

Douglas County Engineer
509 3rd Avenue West
P.O. Box 398
Alexandria, MN 56308
Phone: 320.763.6001
Fax: 320.763.7955

Meeker County
Meeker County Engineer
325 North Sibley
Litchfield, MN 55355
Phone: 320.693.5360 or 320.693.5362
Fax: 320.693.5369

Pope County
Pope County Engineer
114 West Minnesota Avenue
Glenwood, MN 56334
Phone: 320.634.4561
Fax: 320.634.4388

Stearns County
Stearns County Engineer
P.O. Box 246
St. Cloud, MN 56302
Phone: 320.255.6180
Fax: 320.255.6186

Wright County
Wright County Engineer
1901 Highway 25 North
Buffalo, MN 55313
Phone: 763.682.7388
Fax: 763.682.7313

Where to report potholes on state highways

You can file a claim by contacting the tort claims and standard engineer, Janelle Anderson at 651-234-7388. Since the state is self-insured there is no insurance or investigating agency that represents them.

More From Mix 94.9