Costs Down For This Year’s Cookout
ST. CLOUD (WJON News) - You’ll save over a buck a person at your Independence Day cookout this year.
Last year, WJON staff went shopping for a 10-person cookout at a local grocery store and found the total cost was $84.22, or roughly $8.50 per person.
This year, the staff went back to the same store, ordered the same food for ten people, and only paid $71.
Here’s what we ordered:
- 2 packages of hot dogs – $6.96 ($3.48 per package, down from $5.49 a year ago).
- 12 Brats - $11.98 (steady from a year ago).
- 2 bags of potato chips - $9.99 ($4.99 per bag, up from $4.79 last year).
- 24 buns - $15.96 (or 3.99 per bag, steady from last year).
- 2 lbs of potato salad - $10.98 ($5.49 per pound, up from 4.99 per pound last year).
- 2 lbs of grapes - $4.98 ($2.49 per pound, down from $3.29 last year).
- One watermelon - $5.98 (down from $6.99 last year).
- Lemonade - $4.99 (We found it on sale – down from $5.29 last year).
- Ketchup - $5.79 (up from $3.99 last year).
- Mustard - $2.69 (down from $2.89 last year).
The grand total for this year’s shopping trip is $71.82, or about $7.25 per person.
The American Farm Bureau Federation reports the cost of your cookout is down three percent nationwide. Our shoppers in St. Cloud saved 15 percent.
READ RELATED ARTICLES
- Did Our Cameras Catch You At The Lemonade Art Fair?
- School Board Approves Bonds For Apollo Repairs.
- Initiative Foundation Hosts Awards For Best Products And New Businesses.