10 Commandments For Surviving Minnesota Winters
New to Minnesota? Great! Here's what you need to know about surviving one of the coldest winter climates in the world! I'm not kidding, winter this year in Minnesota got colder than Antarctica and EVEN MARS. Here's your survival. guide. If you live by these rules, you should be OK!
1. Wear a jacket...cripes, it's not a fashion show. That's what my mom always said.
2. Pick an outdoor hobby. You'll get cabin fever if you don't.
3. Get a dang snowblower. If you have to shovel your sidewalk & driveway, you'll go mad. It's not a matter of if, it's when.
4. Keep an extra pair of gloves in your car. You don't even know what cold feels like until you clutch a steering wheel in your bare hands for 20 minutes.
5. Salt everything. Your doctor will tell you to avoid salt...but, in Minnesota you'll want to put that shark on everything--sidewalks, driveways, roadways, EVERYTHING.
6. Take a vacation somewhere warm. We all NEED a break from the cold and something to look forward to.
7. Stock up. I become a canned food and water bottle hoarder in the winter. You never know when you're going to be snowed in. #Snowmageddon
8. Get Neftlix. That's basically what there is to do in the winter. You'll live vicariously through others until the snow melts.
9. Get a garage. I don't care if you have an apartment and have to pay extra for a garage. IT'S WORTH IT. Ever try scraping off of your windshield after an ice storm with a credit card before?! IT'S HORRIBLE. I don't wish it on my worst enemy.
10. Lotion up! If you don't lotion yourself everyday you're going to be as dry as a cactus. Eczema is THE WORST.
BONUS 11: Have a sense of humor AND learn to like swearing...because winter will surely happen again next year...and the year after that...it's Groundhog Day for the rest of your life. I swear in my car because it's my safe space and it's the coldest place on Earth.