Top 5 Strangest Minnesota Animal Encounters
Barry posted a story about a 70 inch snake in Minnesota yesterday. It got me to thinking that in addition to that story, we've had our fair share of weird animal encounters over the years. Here are my top 5 strange animal encounters in Minnesota within the last 10 years.
1. Wolf attacks teen along Lake Winnibigoshish. According to multiple news outlets, in the early morning hours on Saturday, August 24th 2013 a teenager was attacked by a wolf that allegedly had deformities and suffered from brain damage. The teen was 16-year-old Noah Graham. He had to pry open the wolf's jaws to get the animal to stop the attack. It was labeled a freak accident and the wolf was later put down after the incident.
2. Bear cubs occupy tree. On July 8, 2013 St. Cloud residents in the 400 block of 15th Avenue noticed something kind of strange sitting in the trees. There were two black bear cubs that had climbed into the tree. The police department sat and watched the tree, making sure that no one taunted the bears. Eventually, the cubs climbed down and ran off into the woods. What makes this a weird encounter is the location they in which the cubs were found. St. Cloud isn't known to have too many bears.
3. Python tries joining the military. On July 24, 2013 a python was found on Highway 15 near Little Falls heading toward Camp Ripley. The Minnesota DNR told deputies that the snake was a threat to wild life in the area--so, deputies shot the snake. The snake was likely someone's pet snake.
4. Bengal tiger attacks owner. In 2006 a woman from rural Pine County, Minnesota was attacked by her pet Bengal tiger. Fifty-two-year-old Cynthia Lee Gamble, was found dead in the tiger's cage.
5. Mystery monster animal found. Residents in Douglas County found a really weird animal dead on the side of the road. It didn't look like any animal they'd ever come across before. According to reports, it was white with long toenails and hair on it's back. Pictures of the animal went viral, but the DNR concluded it was probably a badger.
What are some weird animal encounters that you've had?