Spent Fireworks Blamed For Four-Plex Fire In Hutchinson
HUTCHINSON - Spent fireworks are believed to be the cause of a fire that caused extensive damage to a Hutchinson four-plex. Fire Chief Mike Schumann says they were called to the fire just before 11:00 p.m. Monday night.
Everyone got out safely and there were no injuries.
Schumann says the west half of structure, where the fire started, was heavily damaged, while the east half received only some smoke damage.
Schumann says one of the tenants had been setting off fireworks earlier and had put the spent remnants in a pail. The pail was then put in the garage and is believed to have re-ignited and spread to the building.
Shumann says some of the tenants had renters insurance and some did not. All were able to find a place to stay last night and today.
This story courtesy of KDUZ in Hutchinson.