My Revamped KY Recipe For Fried Green Tomatoes & Zucchini [PHOTOS]
I was visiting with my Mom and Dad yesterday afternoon. My Dad always grabs me fresh zucchini from the garden and had brought me over a couple fresh zucchini.
Then I remembered; A couple days ago we were taking graduation pictures for Tanner, I looked over in the garden and saw some great big green tomatoes! Ever since living in Kentucky, I've loved fried green tomatoes! Not just tomatoes; zucchini is awesome too! I don't know which one I like bette. They taste quite different, even though the recipe is the same.
If you've never had fried green tomatoes or zucchini, they are an acquired taste. BUT! Give them a chance! Once you acquire the taste, you can't resist. I've made some healthy changes to my recipe, but here are both recipes. Try them both, and choose your favorite. Remember to give it a couple tries. Enjoy!
NANNIE'S TRADITIONAL RECIPE FOR FRIED GREEN TOMATOES & ZUCCHINI
My Mother In Law Nannie Howard, introduced me to Fried Green Tomatoes.
- Vegetable Oil (use any kind of oil that can be used for frying)
- Yellow Corn Meal
- Garlic Salt
- Green Tomatoes and/or zucchini
1. Clean and slice your tomatoes and zucchini. You'll decide if like them in thin slices to make a more chip like crispy treat, or if you like thick, pieces which are crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I like them both ways.
2. Pour 2 -4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Heat the oil. Once oil is ready, place slices of zucchini and tomatoes in the pan
3. While oil is heating, pour 1 cup of yellow corn meal in a bowl. Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Stir the mixture, and taste. I typically like a lot of pepper with this recipe.
4. Toss the vegetable slices in the corn meal and cover well.
5. Take the corn meal covered pieces and place them in hot oil. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Flip them over and crisp the other side as well.
6. Put them on a paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.
You really don't need the cornmeal! They will still get nice and crispy and golden brown. 1. Chop vegetables.
2. Place chopped veggies in hot oil in pan WITHOUT tossing in corn meal. (I use an avacado oil mix.)
3. Sprinkle salt, garlic salt, and pepper over vegetables while they are frying.
4. Fry until crispy golden brown, and flip; Put them on a paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.Then Serve!