Morning Mix Show Notes 8/2
Gourmet Guess, the best and worst fast food meals and what’s new on DVD.
Your Gourmet Guess clue for today: This vegetable was introduced to America by Italian immigrants, however it did not become popular until the 1920′s. (Scroll down for the correct answer.)
McDonald’s recently announced that come September, they’re going to be making their Happy Meals healthier by adding a serving of apples and reducing the amount of french fries with each meal. According to the website TheDailyMeal.com, you can make the meal even healthier by getting rid of the fries completely and just going with fruit, which begs the question, “Who else has healthy food options for both kids and adults?”
1. Subway – They ranked number one on the list because they have the lowest average number of calories for a kids meal. The veggie delight meal with apples and low fat milk has 345 calories. The highest number of calories for a kids meal there is the roast beef sandwich with apples and milk which has 395.
2. Burger King – The chicken tenders meal has 350 calories versus the hamburger with apple fries and apple juice which is 430 calories. If you add cheese, it’s even worse.
3. Taco Bell – All kids meals come with cinnamon twists and a juice box, but it’s the main dish that can mess it up. If you get a crunchy taco, that has 360 calories, but the bean burrito jacks it up to 580 calories.
4. KFC – A kids meal with chicken strips with string cheese, corn and a Capri Sun has 280 calories but the average kids meal has almost 450 calories. The worst is the popcorn chicken meal with string cheese, potato wedges and a soda. All told that meal has 663 calories.
5. Wendy’s – The average kids meal here has 502 calories. Your best option here is chicken nuggets with apple wedges and a soda. That weighs in at 283 calories. The worst choice is the chicken sandwich with fries and a soda with 623 calories.
6. Dairy Queen – They have the worst options for kids. The average kids meal here has 737 calories. The best you can do is the chicken strip meal with applesauce, soda and an ice cream cone for a total 603 calories. The worst is the cheeseburger basket with fries, soda and a dilly bar for a grand total of 883 calories. You can save a lot of calories by skipping dessert, but what fun is that?!
New on DVD this week:
Soul Surfer – AnnaSophia Robb plays professional surfer Bethany Hamilton who lost her arm in a shark attack, but returned to surfing despite what happened. Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid and Carrie Underwood also star. Our Movie Maven Ileana calls this one a rent.
Rio – Anne Hathaway and Jess Eisenberg play the last two birds of their kind which makes them very rare and expensive. They manage to escape from birdnappers, but Jesse doesn’t know how to fly. Chaos ensues. Ileana says this one is definitely a buy.
Ileana’s C.L.I.P. of the Week is Exporting Raymond. This one is for anyone who watched Everybody Loves Raymond. It follows the show’s creator Phil Rosenthal as he travels to Russia to adapt the sitcom for the Russian audience. Hilarity ensues. Ileana says this one depends on if you liked Everybody Loves Raymond or not, but it is funny.
Your Gourmet Guess answer for today: Broccoli. If you’re a Mix Insider, you can now log in to your Mix Insider Rewards Account and enter the Morning Mix Word That Wins BROCCOLI and score yourself 25 hundred points that you can use to reward yourself with cash, jewelery, gift cards and more. Not a Mix Insider? Click here to subscribe. It’s fast, it’s easy and it’s FREE