Morning Mix Show Notes 5/5
It’s Real Product or Not Day! It’s also Cinco de Mayo and another awesome Mom.
Today’s Real Product or Not stuff: Happy Fun Ball, the bacon wallet and Sigmund Freud shrinking head suckers. (Scroll down for the correct answers.)
Here are Five Things You Didn’t Know About Cinco de Mayo:
1. It is NOT Mexico’s Independence Day – That day is called Gritto de Delores and is celebrated September 16. That marks the day in 1810 when a priest declared war on Spain.
2. It IS a celebration of victory over France – In 1861, Mexico defaulted on loans from European countries, so France decided to invade. The French hadn’t been defeated in a half a century, but on May 5, 1862, Mexico won the Battle of Puebla.
3. It’s More Popular in the U.S. – It is not an official holiday in Mexico. It is celebrated by the people of Puebla, but thanks to FDR’s “Good Neighbor” policy to strengthen ties with Latin America, we now drink Patron and Dos Equis and party ’til we puke in the U.S.
4. It’s Very Popular in…Malta? – That is an island nation in the Mediterranean Sea near Italy and Cinco de Mayo is celebrated because the beautiful people of Malta supposedly love Corona.
5. It’s Very Popular in…Chandler, Arizona? – Chandler is a suburb of Phoenix and they celebrate today by having chihuahua races. There’s no real reason for it, but they seem to think it’s awesome.
And now it’s time for a Cinco de Mayo sing-along!
When a boy falls down a well, his Mom didn’t just go for help. She climbed into the well to help him! Amy Prentice’s two children were goofing around in their yard when her son fell down an old well. He fell 30 feet before he hit the bottom. His mother, Amy climbed down the well using rocks and pipes to hold her footing and she managed to calm her son down enough so he didn’t go into shock. A neighbor called 911 and the two were rescued in under an hour. The boy needed staples to fix a gash in his head, but other than that, he’s OK. Another neighbor has volunteered to fill in the well so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.
Your Real Product or Not answers today: Happy Fun Ball is not real. The bacon wallet and Sigmund Freud shrinking head suckers are both real. You can now log in to your Mix Insider Rewards Account and enter in the Morning Mix Word That Wins HAPPY and score 25 hundred points that you can use to reward yourself with cool stuff like cash, gift cards and gaming consoles. Not a Mix Insider yet? Click here to subscribe.