Morning Mix Show Notes 4/19
It’s Gourmet Guess Day! Plus, hate cleaning? There’s an app for that and what’s new on DVD.
Your Gourmet Guess clue for today: This is a cracker-like bread made from plain white flour and water that is poked in several places and not allowed to rise before or during baking. (Scroll down for the correct answer.)
According to the American Cleaning Institute’s Spring Cleaning Survey, women ages 18 to 29 are more likely to clean their homes than men. Women wipe down and disinfect counters, sweep, mop and vacuum daily. Men apparently clean only when things begin to smell. If you hate cleaning, there’s an app for that. Seriously. Check this out:
1. Custom Hypnosis – For $1.99, this app will allegedly play soothing music and hypnotize you into cleaning the bathroom, tidying up the kitchen and doing laundry.
2. HomeRoutines – This $5 app will let you set a to do list and when you complete a task, it gives you a gold star.
3. Clean Freak – This one is designed for busy parents and it breaks down cleaning into smaller jobs so they seem more manageable. It’s just 99 cents and will tell you the last time you wiped down the fridge or changed the sheets.
4. Green Shine – Shelterpop named this one the best. For $.199, it will tell you how to make a commercial quality cleaner using things around your house and offers green cleaning solutions for everything and tells you how to use it. If you don’t want to pay two bucks for it, there is a free version here.
5. J’s Job Jar – Useless, but the most fun and definitely a procrastinator’s dream. It’s 99 cents and allows you to write down your chores on slips of paper and place them in a virtual jar. Then, shake your iPhone and a random task will pop up. Then you can click “OK”, “Later” or “Never”.
Click here for spring cleaning tips from a pro that will cut the clutter and cut your cleaning time.
New movies on DVD today include:
The King’s Speech – Geoffry Rush plays a vocal coach who helps the King of England overcome a difficult speech impediment. Colin Firth plays King George VI and Helena Bonham Carter plays his wife. All three were nominated for Academy Awards for their performances in this film.
Gulliver’s Travels – This one stars Jack Black as a newspaper employee who fibs his way into covering a story on the Bermuda Triangle and gets shipwrecked on an island surrounded by little people.
Ileana’s C.L.I.P. of the Week is Rabbit Hole – Nicole Kidman was nominated for an Oscar for her role in this movie about parents whose child is murdered. Aaron Eckhart and Sandra Oh also star.
TV series’ on DVD today:
Glee Encore – This one is a single DVD that contains at least 36 of the best performances from season one.
Fresh Prince of Bel Air Season Six – Three DVD set of the show’s final season.
The Gourmet Guess answer: Matzo. It is used as the substitute for leavened bread during Passover, as eating food containing yeast is not allowed. If you’re a Mix Insider, you can now log in to your Mix Insider Rewards Account and enter the Morning Mix Word That Wins MATZO and score yourself 25 hundred points that you can use to reward yourself with cash, jewelery, gift cards and more. Not a Mix Insider? Click here to subscribe. It’s fast, it’s easy and it’s FREE!