Ever since I was a kid we always carved pumpkins really early in October. My mom’s favorite holiday has always been Halloween. By the time the spooky holiday rolled around, our pumpkins would be a rotting mess.

If you have the same problem every year, there is a solution. There’s a homemade remedy to keep your jack-o-lantern from wilting.

Dunk your pumpkin into a bucket of bleach water. My mom started to do this a few years ago and it surprisingly works. Mix one teaspoon of bleach per one gallon of water. You’ll need to fill enough water in a bucket so that it can encompass your entire pumpkin. Soak your pumpkin for about eight hours before removing from the bleach solution.

Try this and you’re sure to be happy with the results!