Do Minnesotans Know Their Super Bowl Facts?
USA TODAY had a list of interesting Super Bowl facts that I thought I might share with you. Do you know other amazing facts about the Super Bowl that the rest of the nation has noticed yet? Are they as good as these?
- The first two Super Bowls were not referred to as the Super Bowl. It wasn't until Super Bowl 3 that the name was coined.
- Backup quarterback Gale Gilbert has the record for consecutive Super Bowl appearances. Who is Gale Gilbert? He's the guy that was with the Bills from 1991 - 1994, and then with the Chargers in 1995. You probably haven't heard of him because his teams lost everyone of them. (Good thing he was the backup..the loss is not on him).
- The teams wearing white always win! In fact white jerseys are 11-1 in the last 12 Super Bowls. The Patriots will wear white on Sunday; but the Falcons were given the choice; and chose to go dark. Go figure.
- Phil Simms was the first Super Bowl MVP to say he was "going to Disney World." He made the famous statement after completing 22 of 25 passes in Super Bowl 21. He set the record for highest completion percentage. Go Phil!
- This is when inflation is important. The NFL uses 72 "perfectly" inflated game balls during the Super Bowl.
- The NFL didn't bring mainstream music acts for the halftime performances until 1991. Before then, it was mainly talented marching bands...I kind of miss that. The first mainstream act was New Kids On The Block in 91.
What facts do you know? Send us your facts to: email@example.com, and we'll share them with our Mixers!