Coconut Oil Cooking Ideas Part One
Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, not just in food, but in many ways. Here in Coconut Oil, Part 1…. I decided to put the flavor to the taste test…and Coconut oil is the winner. Look at this great list of things you can do with coconut oil…and you use it the same way as other oils. The only difference…It’s good for you!
1) Coconut Oil is great for cooking at high heat. Some oils are unsafe to cook with at high temperatures, but coconut oil is a great alternative.
2) For a healthy alternative to butter, use coconut oil instead on your toast. Seriously!
3) Eat it by the Spoonful – Coconut oil is that delicious and healthful. Enjoy one spoonful each morning.
4) Smoothies – Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite smoothie recipe and increase your energy.
5) Fry Eggs – Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with coconut oil to create a non-stick surface for delicious eggs.
6) Popping Popcorn – A sweet twist on a classic snack! To make stovetop popcorn, you need a heavy-bottomed pan. First, add the coconut oil and popcorn to the pot. Coat the area of the pot with the oil, and use just enough popcorn to make a single layer over the bottom of the pot. Give the pot a little shake to make sure all of the kernels are coated with oil. Next, place the pot over medium heat. Put the lid on the pot, leaving it slightly open so that steam can escape. It should take about five minutes for the popcorn to pop completely.
7) Popcorn Topping – Instead of butter, melt a little coconut oil and pour it over your popped popcorn. Then sprinkle lightly with salt.
8) Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips – Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to 1/8” thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Add salt to taste, and serve.
9) Replace Vegetable Oil with Coconut Oil for Baking – Next time you make your favorite brownie recipe, replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil. I made delicious Apple muffins with applesauce and a little bit of coconut oil. They were incredibly moist and super tasty.
10) Pan Frying – Coconut oil leaves to flavor, and is healthy for pan frying fish, chicken, or veggies! When I made my Chicken Kiev recipe a couple weeks ago…I fried my chicken in coconut oil. It was awesome.
11) Grilled Cheese with Coconut Oil – No need for butter the next time you are making a grilled cheese sandwich. I tried this and my kids don’t know the difference.
Stay tuned for more on uses for coconut oil in part two coming soon.