My Top 13 Highlights of 2016! It’s Been An Amazing Year! [PHOTOS]
I. I started the year off in Green Bay, Wisconsin at legendary Lambeau Field on January 3rd watching my beloved Packers lose to the Vikings 20-13. It was my first trip to the home of Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr and Brett Favre.
2. I spent my 40th birthday on the set of the Today Show in New York City with my good friend Danny Wood from New Kids on the Block. He was in the city that never sleeps to promote his new solo album "Look At Me" and tour to support his foundation "Remember Betty."
3. My wife and I went back out on tour after a 10-year hiatus to support Danny Wood's mission to raise money for breast cancer patients and bring new music to the masses. It was amazing to see all the Blockheads again and reconnect with old friends around the country I hadn't seen in forever.
4. I got to join Justin Ploof and the Throwbacks for three nights at Pioneer Place on 5th in downtown St. Cloud paying tribute to one of my all-time favorite bands The Beach Boys. It was also magical to have my parents in the crowd since my mom was the one who first introduced me to their southern California sound.
5. Not long after I paid tribute to The Beach Boys, I had the chance to interview Mike Love and Bruce Johnston backstage at the State Theater in Minneapolis. The moment Mike Love walked in the room is a moment I'll never forget. He sat right between my mom and I (my dad was across the room shooting footage for me). Mike had recently completed his book "Good Vibrations," and he was very gracious with his time (I believe we spent 20 minutes chatting).
6. This was the year we truly embraced the beauty of northern Minnesota and spent quality family time in both Walker on Leech Lake and Brainerd on Gull Lake. Its now becoming a family tradition to rent a cabin and escape the hustle and bustle of every day life. Thanks to my Aunt Mary Ellen for giving us those special memories we will cherish forever.
7. After years of not having the best relationship with my son, we were able to put the past behind us in 2016 and start over. I'm so proud of the man he is today. Jon serves his country honorably in the United States Army as both a combat engineer and paratrooper. I'm looking forward to spending time with him next week. He fly's home from his duty station in Italy this Saturday morning.
8. My oldest daughter Makenzie continued to make me proud in 2016. She's maintaining an A+ average in college and getting closer to achieving a degree in criminal justice. She's exceeded everybody's expectations for her (and then some). Makenzie turns 21 on December 27th. Where does the time go? She'll always be my baby.
9. Macy really came into her own as a dancer in 2016. I'm so proud of all she accomplished especially with the obstacles she faced with her hearing diagnosis (Macy received her first set of hearing aids this year). She also was blessed with a phone call this summer from Ms. Melinda letting her know she was going to have her very own hip hop solo. I love this picture below! This represents faith, friendship, love, support and encouragement.
10. Tracy and I were able to bring Macy to the exact spot we first met twelve years ago in April of 2004. It was inside these very doors on the campus of Iowa State University where our story first started. I was performing with Jordan Knight and couldn't take my eyes off of her. She was easy to spot because of a silver bracelet she was wearing on her left arm. I told her that night quote; "I could change your life"...and I did. We will celebrate 10-years of marriage on December 22nd.
11. Macy was so pumped to go back to Florida this summer and finally put her feet in the Atlantic Ocean. We spent four amazing days on both the Space Coast and visiting the Universal Studios attractions in Orlando. Tracy also scored us a convertible for no extra charge!
12. This was certainly the year of meeting my idols and inspirations. I finally got to meet and see New Edition perform live. My dream came true earlier this summer when they brought their tour to the Target Center with Babyface. I sat down with three of the group members Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell and "Big" Ron Devoe (BBD) to chat about their new single "Run."
13. Team Bumpa was once again able to raise thousands of dollars for Parkinson's research this year. Thank you to all of our family and friends who donated generously to our team.
Honorable mentions include: Meeting Selena Gomez, Spending time with Nick Carter from Backstreet Boys. We hadn't seen him in a couple years and it was nice to catch up. We finally got to meet the guys from Def Leppard and have them sign up the #1 hits book. Oh and spending time with my old friend Rob Base at the I Love The 90s Tour in Minneapolis. We hadn't seen each other in over 10-years. That show featured Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Coolio and more.